Saturday, April 18, 2020

Play in a Time of Isolation

I took a short break from sewing masks this week to play.  What would you do if a friend of yours asked you if you could use this little pile of gorgeous cotton strips?

I said I would take them, having absolutely no idea how I would use them. Still to the scrap lover in me, they were irresistible---all perfect and coordinated, each measuring about 1x14 inch.  
When I got home I laid them on a table in the studio and there they sat for 3 months. 
This week when I decided to play. This is what I came up with. 

 I lined several up side by side atop a piece of batting. 
Then I wove additional strips in perpendicular to the first strips.


I stitched around the edge of the entire piece, and then stitched each line down going back and forth from top to bottom. 

Then I squared the piece up, adding backing and put a border on.  To complete a small quilt that could be used as a mug rug or a hot pad for my teapot.


Of course Matilda is always supervising.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! That's exactly where my mind went, Mary! basket-weave- did you leave the selvage edges raw?

    ReplyDelete

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...