Monday, March 9, 2020

Free Quilt Block Pattern - Nine Patch Variation

This is my finished quilt top. A 9-patch variation. Simple to sew. I found the white blocks on the sharing table at the Shoreline Quilt Guild retreat in January. I am drawn to cast off orphan blocks made with OPF (Other People's Fabric).   

I picked up 13 perfect blocks on the sharing table - not my color palette (since I rarely if ever use white), but, they were lovely and excited my spirit.

My affinity for cast-off goodies is deeply rooted in my psyche. It comes from wanting to create and knowing the scrap bag in my mother's closet was fair game for anything I wanted to try.  The love of little pieces of fabric coincides directly with my love of quilting.

I didn't think 13 blocks were not enough for a small quilt and I wanted to add more color, so this is what I did. 

The block is a simple 9-patch variation:
center square, flanked by rectangles with cornerstones. 

Let's do it!  Dig into your stash and let's play.







For each block you need the following:


  • One 5.5 inch square (A) (I used a floral.).
  • Four 2.5 x 5.5 inch rectangles (B) (I used a med/dark fabric.)
  • Four 2.5 x 2.5 inch squares (C) (I used a light floral.)

Assembly:
Sew one 2.5 inch square 'C"' to each end of 'B'. Press toward dark. Make 2.












Sew a 2.5 x 5.5 inch rectangle ('B') to one side of the 5.5 inch square ('A'). Sew another 'B' to the opposite side of 'A'. Press toward dark. 



 And there you have it.  Check back for the finished quilt top.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...