Friday, October 6, 2017

Knitting as Meditation

Although friends and family have encouraged me to meditate I have not adopted the traditional practice with any consistency. This is despite acknowledging the benefits for the body and mind, attending a Buddhist meditation retreat (that the DH and I attended at my son's request following his college graduation) and having friends send me 'Calm' app links.

But I do something that is in itself a form of meditation. I knit.  People have knitted for centuries. While nowadays it is often considered a woman's craft, military men throughout history knit socks and hats and sweaters.

One stitch at a time. Remember you don't have to create anything big or serious. And it doesn't have to be perfect. Stitch by stitch. One at a time.

Five favorite times to knit:

  • as a passenger on a long road trip
  • rainy day (with or without a glowing fireplace)
  • watching Netflix series
  • sitting with someone in a nursing home or hospital
  • waiting for anything
Live a simple creative life
~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...