Thursday, October 16, 2014

Felted Wool Hats

As the wind and rain begin to blow, and the leaves change to those brilliant fall colors I begin making felted wool hats.

I handknit them. I have, what some might call. an addiction because I have made so many. Without too many outside committments I can usually finish one hat in a weekend.

When I finish knitting the hat is huge. This one looks like a portion of a clown's costume.

Then I throw it into the washing machine with a pair of old jeans and a little detergent and it shrinks by about one-third.

Sometimes it is very difficult to judge what a new type of yarn (or handspun) will do. Ask me sometime about my-wool-too-far-gone.

Several finished examples 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...