Friday, October 17, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop



I was invited to participate in the Around the World Blog Hop by fabric artisan Carol  of Carol R. Eaton Designs. Carol creates amazing hand-dyed, stamped, painted, and stenciled fabrics that she sells online and at regional events. Her blog is a source of inspiration and step-by-step instructions for many fabric techniques.  

I am thrilled to introduce two artists that I have invited to participate in the Around the World Blog Hop: Ruth Anne Olson and Michael Scaramuzzino.


Ruth Anne Olson a friend and member of SAQA-CT. Ruth Anne creates textile art, quilts and home accessories with an eye for subtle color change and fabric. She frequently uses hand-dyed cottons. And did I mention that she is a mathematician too? Visit her blog at http://www.ruthanneolson.blogspot.com


Michael Scaramuzzino is an amazing young professional illustrator and 3-d digital modeler who will stun you with his designs. Originally from Connecticut, he now lives in Massachusetts and has a B.F.A. from the Monstserrat College of Art. Michael is also the cover illustrator for my book, Moth at the Window! Visit his website and blog at http://www.michael-scaramuzzino.com


Q&A
 1. What am I working on?
I am usually working on several projects at the same time and  play with fabric paint, Indigo dyeing, and knitting. 


Spiraling Out - Currently on Exhibit 


Aerial View - hand-dyed and batik fabrics


Nuno Felted Wool on Silk Base


Handknit Fingerless Glove

My other blog is dedicated to my book Moth at the Window: Poetry of Grover W. Clayton and Recollections of Indiana. The book is a multi-genre book of poetry and memoir. View the website at http://www.MothAtTheWindow.com

These are some more photos of recent projects.
Sugar in the Morning - mixed media

Playing with Shiva Paintstiks on hand-dyed cotton




Experiments with Indigo Dyeing

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

My work is evolving. I consider it a bridge between traditional quilting and the art quilt movement even though I periodically create pieces that can fit into either of those categories.



I like bright colors and bold patterns. I like the idea of combining pattern upon pattern. I love Kaffe Fassett’s ideas and his nontraditional approach to design in embroidery, knitting and fabric.


I also do not limit my creativity to stitching fabric. I spin and knit wool. I make felted wool hats, mittens, and wearable accessories.  I look to my garden, a sketchbook and painting (oil, acrylic, and watercolor) for renewal when the energy for one project is declining.


CheckerBlue inspired by a Kaffe Fassett pattern
3. Why do I create what I do?


I create because the process of making things is deeply rooted in who I am as a person. I enjoy the process (sometimes more than the finished product). I like blending materials and seeing what will happen. I suppose that is the scientist in me. I am happy in the studio where I can lose myself in a project and silence the inner chaos in my mind.

4. How does my creating process work?

I try not to overthink my ideas.   Instead I work begin to pull materials together, stitching or knitting or spinning to see what happens. I like following my own muse. I enjoy looking at the works of others but have no desire to copy the other person’s art. I am always thinking what I would change.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...