Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Fabric Collage Step-by-Step: The Making of "Pesce Pesce"

I started Pesce Pesce (aka Fishy Fishy) by cutting interesting shapes from fabrics and glueing them to a muslin base. I used Aleene's Tacky Glue.  I chose cotton batiks for the interesting colors and cut the fins from other fabrics that looked like branches and leaves. 



Some synthetic commercial fabrics were added for little extra glitz.


 The assembled Pesce (which means 'fish' in Italian) was cut out of the muslin base and then I tested different background fabrics to mount it on. Below is a hand dyed cotton that was chosen as the background.

To add a little more depth to Pesce I created a small fabric collage using fabrics texturized using Paintstiks and rubbing plates. I added a few bubbles and underwater plants before free-motion quilting the entire project.  

Pesce Pesce - 2016 - Mary Lachman
All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...