Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Drink, Lift and Organize

I am trying to start each new day with positive affirmations about myself and my art. Some days it is easier than others, but I am working on it. I also made a few resolutions for the New Year and can honestly report that so far I have been diligent. The resolutions are 3 and all begin with “W”. They are: Water (drink), Weights (lift), and  Wardrobe (organize).

Water: I fill a water bottle up each morning before work and push myself to drink it by noon. 
Weights: I am of eastern European ancestry (complete with, what my friend Patrick Cooney, calls SIS (S----- Irish Skin), though I think I am Scottish, so in my case it would be SSS.  Eastern European women also tend to be at increased risk for osteoporosis. Weight lifting is earmarked by me as one attempt to ward off bone loss.



Thanks to my dear husband (DH) we have an extensive weight set in the basement that he bought when our sons became teenagers. It is the kind that has a stylized stand and a clever little gizmo that allows one to select the preferred poundage for each barbell. One of the boys used it on a regular basis, but now he is away at college. Last night, after that son gave me a brief intro to proper breathing and lifting, and how many reps I should do I gave it a whirl, or maybe I should say lift. But first he had to explain “rep”.

Because I am a task oriented, I decided that if I miss my serious session in the basement (and I do want to keep my 3W’s), I should use a 10-pound barbell with one hand while brushing my teeth with the other (electric toothbrush). Then of course I would switch hands and do the same number of reps with the other arm.  (Yes this barbell had a mate but I misplaced it. It is somewhere, possibly in my studio. You might wonder how anyone can misplace a barbell, but it can be done, and I am living proof. ) And that brings us to the wardrobe.

Wardrobe: I am a victim of the post-season sale, the clearance section, and Marshalls/TJMaxx. I am a soft sell for a flouncy floral skirt and a velveteen jacket.  In the past I have given little thought to what colors or necklines are flattering, but all that is changing. I have borrowed books from the library on personal style and organization. I pulled the summer clothes out of the closet and moved them to a separate zippered storage bag. (I figured I could do the summer stuff later if this plan works.) 


Current Project: Paperpiecing Shamrocks
I understand that my wardrobe will be an ongoing process. I prefer to fewer items and love each one more. My friend Linda T. Gottlieb, who runs Fit Training, LLC http://www.FitTraining.net is an inspiration in more than one department, and although her personal style is so different than my own, she always looks fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Magic

In her book Big Magic , Elizabeth Gilbert (who is best known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love ) writes "I believe the creative process ...